Abstract: Records of Biddeford’s earliest Grand Army of the Republic (G.A.R.) post, that of Phil Sheridan Post No. 28; the records cover the years 1871-1875.
Administrative History: The G.A.R. was the veterans association of the Union Army after the close of the Civil War. The Phil Sheridan Post, No. 28, Grand Army of the Republic was organized April 3, 1868. It was one of two original G.A.R. groups in the city, the other being the Biddeford Light Infantry (organized April 29, 1873, but not an official “post”). Later there was the U.S. Grant Post, No. 143 (organized Oct. 12, 1885) also in Biddeford. The posts merged in 1916 to create the Sheridan-Grant Camp, No.51, Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War (which closed 1977).