Adams, Eustace Lane
(Saco) Author. Biddeford Scrapbook #2, page 100.
(Saco) Overseer in York Mill. Died at home on High Street. Obit in BWJ 06/20/1910, p.8 c.5.
Adams, John Q.
Biddeford mayor 1863-1864. Born in Biddeford in little house on Foss Street next to corner house at Main & Foss. Studied law. Heavy land owner, son of John Adams. Three brothers: Hiram, Henry, and Amos. Obit in BWJ 03/27/1896, p.3 c.2.
Born 1804. Sailed with Captain Tom Farris, and lived at 634 Pool Road. Life sketch in York County History p.206-7.
Adams, Simon B.
(1829-1917) Son of Selucas Adams, lived in house at 634 Pool Road. Obit chiefly concerns father. BDJ 10/16/1917, p.8 c.3-4. BWJ 10/19/1917, p.2 c.4-5.
(1835-1906) Portland artist, born in Hollis. Died in New York on 09/16/1906. Obit in BWJ 10/12/1906, p.6 c.4.
Immigrants from the country of Albania (Shqiptare) began arriving in Biddeford and Saco at the turn of the century, being recruited to work in the Pepperell and other textile mills. While the mills were the initial draw, Albanians also owned businesses around town, including grocery stores and coffee houses. Some of the Albanian immigrants were also Muslims, and formed a religious society – Komisioni I Shoqerise Fetare Mohemedene Shqiptare – which started Biddeford’s first mosque in 1915 (FMI please see entries for MOSQUE and MUSLIMS in this index).
Born in town of Shefford, Canada East, 02/14/1829. Died in Biddeford 06/15/1851 in an accident in the Pepperell Mills. Buried in Woodlawn Cemetery. U & J 06/20/1951, p.2 c.4.
Allard, Marcel (Duke)
(1913-1965) Obit in BDJ 08/02/1965, p.2 c.2. [Also Jeannette Allard died in July 1965]
Allard, Paul A.
Died in California in 1966. Obit in BJ 02/22/1966.
Allen, Amos L.
(1837-1911) York County member of Congress from 1899-1911. Succeeded Thomas B. Reed. Obit in BWJ 02/24/1911, p.1 c.1-3.
Allen, Dr. John
Deceased in Saco 11/19/1825. Samuel Merrill diary, p. 105.
Ancient and Honorables of Lower Biddeford [club]
Andrews, George R.
Grocer. Andrews & Horrigan’s store, Biddeford. BJ 04/10/1908, p.1. See also Bickford’s Local landmarks, p.35.
Andrews, George W.
Granite firm. Obit in BWJ 03/26/1926, p.2 c.4.
Substitute teacher (PHOTOGRAPH), from Souvenir of the Biddeford Public Schools (1901).
Andrews, Ira (Captain)
Died 11/20/1893, Age 83 years 4 mos. Buried in Greenwood Cemetery.
Stone quarries, 1866. Obit in BWJ 04/06/1888, p.3 c.2.
Andrews, Leonard (Honorable)
(1822-1885) Home on Mt. Vernon Street. State legislator 1855; state senator 1861. Stone contractor; furnished stone work for Grand Trunk Railroad from Portland to Connecticut River and for the Bangor & Piscataquis Road. Obit in BWJ 10/23/1885, p.3 c.4.
Andrews, Simon S. (Captain)
(1840-1927) Civil War veteran, active in city government. Buried in Greenwood Cemetery. Obit in BWJ 01/28/1927, p.3 c.4. See also Bickford’s Local landmarks, p.21.
Andrews, Solon S.
(1847-1903) Son of James S. Andrews. Was a noted submarine diver. Granite contractor. Building new home on Hill Street, plans by Portland architect (BWJ 06/20/1884, p.3 c.1). Died in Gorham. Obit in BWJ 11/06/1903, p.8 c.4.
(1813-1898) Came to Biddeford about 1848. Helped build the Mile Brook Bridge; then became a stove and tin-ware peddler. His grandfather had been a Revolutionary War Soldier. Obit in BWJ 09/02/1898, p.8 c.4.
Anthoine, George A.
Celebrates 37th year in plumbing and hardware business. Store on Alfred Street has grown from 400 sq. ft. to 13,000 sq. ft. BDJ 06/27/1913, p.6 c.1-2.
Anthoine, John Neal
(1823-1911) Born in Windham, came to Biddeford in 1844. Went to California in 1849 as a blacksmith and returned to Biddeford before 1856. Married Eliza Bunker, daughter of Capt. Stephen Bunker of Biddeford Pool. Obit in BWJ 01/27/1911, p.8 c.2-3.
35 Main Street. Included in Main Street Historic District, National Register of Historic Places.
Asselin, Louis N.
(1850-1921) Home at 15 W. Myrtle Street. Came to Biddeford in 1914 from Montreal as Canadian immigration agent. Succeeded John B. Charbonneau. Obit in BWJ 07/29/1921, p.8 c.2.
231 Main Street. Included in Main Street Historic District, National Register of Historic Places.
Atkinson, Emily C.
Teacher, No. 6 Rural School (PHOTOGRAPH), from Souvenir of the Biddeford Public Schools (1901).
Atkinson, Henry P.
Founder of “Atkinson’s” furniture firm. Article on failure of Boston & Portland furniture firms involving Biddeford branch in BWJ 03/17/1893. Obit in BWJ on 04/08/1921, p.7 c.2. See also Bickford’s Local landmarks, pp.33-4.
Atwood, Emeline A.
Wife of Charles Atwood (obit in BDJ 05/14/1945). Always made mince pies for church suppers, always refused to say what was in them except that “she put in a little of everything about the house except Charles’ red ties.” Obit in BWJ 02/07/1908, p.6. Funeral in BWJ 02/14/1908, p.8.