148 Main Street. Included in Main Street Historic District, National Register of Historic Places.
(1797-1847) Former governor and senator from Maine, lived in Saco. See Biddeford Scrapbook #1, p.20 and #6, p.116-117. Biographical sketch in JT 11/15/1986, p.11. [For house see Photo collection #1260]
Died in Saco on Sunday last, 03/24/1824. From Samuel Merrill diary, p.96.
Fairfield, John (Parson)
Departed this life with old age, 12/16/1819. From Samuel Merrill diary, p.81. [See Photo collection #1655 (chairs) and #1723 (house)].
Fairfield, Roy P.
Saco historian and author. Written several books, including Sand, Spindles and Steeples and New Compass Points-Twentieth Century Saco. See Biddeford Scrapbook #6, p.88.
Fairfield, Rufus Albert (R. A.)
(1852-1939) Known as “Al” Fairfield. First man in Maine to take sales agency for bicycle. Was also first to take auto agency (“locomobile”) in Biddeford and Saco (see BDJ 05/17/1901, p.7 c.6). Obit BDJ 01/03/1939, p.8.
Fairfield, Seth S.
(1790-1863) Born in Wenham, Massachusetts. Came to Saco about 1825, then went to Biddeford in 1848 as cashier of Biddeford Bank. Held that position until his death. Mayor of Biddeford during beginning of Civil War (1861-1862). Obit U & J, 07/10/1863, p.2 c.4.
(1845-1912) Home on Pool Road. Father of John A. Falker and son of Captain Nathaniel Falker who died about 1900. Went to sea at 11, commanded vessel at age 19. Commanded schooner R. F. C. Hartley, retiring in 1910. Obit 04/24/1912, p.6 c.1.
Falker, Nathaniel, Junior (Captain)
Followed sea 50 years, died age 77. Obit BWJ 08/29/1919, p.7 c.5.
Falker, Nathaniel, Senior (Captain)
(1821-1902) Commanded vessels for 65 years. Ship to carry ice to South Carolina (BWJ 04/09/1886, p.3 c.1). Sketch of life (BWJ 11/12/1886, p.3 c.2). Personal description of sale of his last vessel (BWJ 05/24/1889, p.3 c.2). 80th birthday party and descendents (BJ 08/24/1900, p.7 c.4). Obit BWJ 04/04/1902, p.6 c.3.
Farley, Peter M.
(1846-1929) Born in Ireland, came here at age 4. Served with the Union Cavalry in Civil War (see BDJ 02/05/1949, p.4 in “Twenty Years Ago”). Father of Peter and John. Obit BWJ 02/08/1929, p.6 c.3.
(1864-1958) Came to Biddeford 04/1887, age 23, from Liverpool, England. Began work at Pepperell Mill, employed there 50 years. From Men and Times of Pepperell, p.71. Died 04/30/1958.
Fenderson, James H.
Fiftieth anniversary of jewelry business. See Biddeford Scrapbook #2, p.2-3.
(1839-1915) Went to sea, then became Biddeford cigar manufacturer (Fenderson & Cole) for 32 years. Obit BDJ 02/13/1915, p.8 c.4.
Ferguson, M. Hubbard (Doctor)
Home at Jefferson and Adams Streets. Born in Dixmont, Maine. Graduated from medical school in 1878, in practice in Biddeford from 1897. Died in auto accident. BWJ 05/18/1923, p.1 c.1.
Field, William H.
(1818-1912) Came to Biddeford in 1849, lived in house (Hurd’s) from 1856-1912. In clothing business. [There was another William H. Field in town in the piano business.] Obit BWJ 08/09/1912, p.7 c.3.
Priest at St. Mary’s Catholic Church. Obit BWJ 07/02/1886, p.3 c.5.
FIRST PARISH MEETINGHOUSE
Old Pool Road. National Register of Historic Places.
St. Martin’s Lane, Biddeford Pool. National Register of Historic Places. Summer home of artist James Montgomery Flagg.
Flagg, James Montgomery
(1877-1960) Artist, summer resident of Biddeford Pool. Built cottage at Pool (BDJ 05/11/1910, p.8 c.3). Sights whale and mistakes it for submarine (BDJ 08/27/1914, p.8 c.4). Writes poem on condition of Pool Road, 1927 (Biddeford Scrapbook #6, p.84). Flagg work at library (BJ 03/07/1947). Autobiography titled Roses and buckshot (1946).Obit BJ 05/28/1960, p.2 c.2. Go to Exhibit.
FLEET BANK BUILDING
208 Main Street. Originally FIRST NATIONAL BANK (see also MS80 First National Bank collection), now BANGOR SAVINGS BANK. Non-contributing building listed within the Main Street Historic District, National Register of Historic Places.
(1707-1807) Died 04/17/1807 at age of 100.
FLETCHER’S NECK LIFESAVING STATION
18 Ocean Avenue, Biddeford Pool. National Register of Historic Places.
Second French woman to make her home in Biddeford. Widow of Louis Fleurant, she died at age 78. Obit BDJ 07/11/1916, p.3 c.3.
Fogg, James H.
(1835-1911) Home at 292 Alfred Street. Born in Saco; business in Biddeford with son, George C. Fogg. Obit BDJ 12/29/1911, p.6 c.1.
Fogg, John S. (Doctor)
Inspector General of the Army of the Philippines (Biddeford Scrapbook #6, p.15). Married Miss Wilhelmina Spear (BDJ 08/04/1914, p.3 c.6). See FINDING AID.
Fogg, Mary Trafton
(1821-1907) Home at 30 South Street. Mother of Dr. John S. Fogg. Husband died 09/21/1888—gives full lineage on both mother and father of Dr. Fogg. Obit BWJ 05/03/1907, p.7 c.3-4.
(1802-1869) Historian and teacher. Born in Kennebunk, died in Rome, Italy. Taught at Thornton Academy about 1827 (from History of Thornton Academy p.27). Wrote A History of Saco and Biddeford, published in 1830.
Henry Ford, automaker, visits Biddeford on way to Portland by auto. He made a short stop at Biddeford Motor Mart to talk to William F. Goodwin, local Ford agent.
BWJ 10/05/1923, p.8 c.3.
Police commissioner. Obit BWJ 01/15/1897, p.1 c.8.
Obit BWJ 02/22/1924, p.1 c.4-5.
Fortin, Emile A. (Doctor)
(1865-1923) Born in Quebec; went to Fall River, Massachusetts at age 19. Moved to Biddeford in 1897; practiced medicine and established the Fortin Pharmacy on Alfred Street in 1911. See Lawton’s Franco-Americans of Maine, p.106. Obit BDJ 04/30/1923, p.5 c.5.
Fortune’s Rocks, Biddeford. Obit U & J 12/17/1858, p.3 c.3. For history of Fortune’s Rocks see BDJ 08/06/1938. See also Biddeford Scrapbook #6, p.4; “The Legend of Francis Fortune”, by Sharon Cummins. York County Coast Star 06/10/2010, p.B7.
His home at southwest corner of Foss & Pool Streets sold to settle estate of his widow. U & J 06/06/1856, p.3 c.4.
Foss, Laura E.
Teacher at the Wentworth Street school (PHOTOGRAPH), from Souvenir of the Biddeford Public Schools (1901).
Died in this town 05/21/1815, buried on Tuesday. From Samuel Merrill diary, p.52.
FOSS STREET SCHOOL
Public grammar and primary school. (See Souvenir of the Biddeford Public Schools ).
Died with consumption 01/07/1833. From Samuel Merrill diary, p.138.
Foss, Walter (Captain)
Died in Biddeford about 08/23/1827. From Samuel Merrill diary, p.114.
Foss, William A.
(1842-1906) Home at 130 Elm Street, Biddeford. Civil War veteran, station agent, also ran magazine & variety store on Main Street. Obit BWJ 04/20/1906, p.7 c.6-7.
Foss, William A.
Saco man. Died in Roxbury, Massachusetts. Painted house red, white, and blue. Obit BWJ 10/21/1921, p.8 c.6.
See Bouthillette, Alfreda
Famous phrenologist lectured here for two weeks in March of 1848. As the result of his visit two octagonal houses were built.
(A.K.A. French-Canadians or simply Francos.) Biddeford’s largest single historic immigrant community, Franco materials can be found in every corner of McArthur’s holdings–so it is worth your time to look in ALL of our catalogs and online spaces!! Need someplace to start?: Look for already written family histories in “Maine’s Franco-American Heritage Name Index“. Look for Biddeford mill worker photos and names (1937-1950) in the Pepperell Sheet Index. All of the links on our Home Page will bring you directly to McArthur’s online collection areas. Once you’ve exhausted all of our research materials, there are many excellent sites to broaden your research–for your convenience we have compiled many research links to other Maine, U.S. and Canadian resources on our Links page.
(1823-1901) Lived on Hill Street. Born in Switzerland where he learned the dye business. Operated dye establishment here fro more than 25 years. Obit BDJ 05/31/1901, p.6 c.3.
Freeman, James R.
Oldest child of William P. Freeman of Biddeford. Obit BWJ 01/12/1894, p.3 c.3.
Freeman, Josephine L.
(1837-1922) Home at 143 Pool Street. Widow of William P. Freeman, mother of Prentiss A. Freeman. Obit BWJ 10/20/1922, p.1 c.7 & p.7 c.6.
(1810-1842) Died 03/11/1842 of consumption at the age of 32. His wife died 10/1839 of consumption. From Samuel Merrill diary, 03/11/1842.
Freeman, William (Captain)
Hung himself 08/05/1820. From Samuel Merrill diary, p.84.
Freeman, William Prentiss
(1833-1898) Home near corner of Pool and Clifford Streets. Born in 1833. His mother was daughter of Captain James Murch. Obit BDJ 11/09/1898, p.6 c.2-4.
FREE WILL BAPTIST CHURCH
14 Jefferson Street. [Demolished] Was part of Main Street Historic District, National Register of Historic Places.
Frost, Edward Sands
(1843-1894) Born 1843 in Lyman. A tin peddler by trade who later became a commercial designer of hooked rugs. He revolutionized the art of rug hooking by creating stencils for drawing the designs. His designs were stamped with “E. S. Frost & Co. of Biddeford, Me.” He later sold his business to the mayor of Biddeford, James H. Strout, moved to California to try to recover his declining health, and made a fortune there. (See The dreams beneath design by McGown, 1939, p.58+.) “Builds two story addition to business house because of increase in business.” (U & J 02/17/1891, p.3 c1 & 7). For rug making career of E. S. Frost see Biddeford Scrapbook #6, p.79. See also “Folk arts and crafts of New England” by Lord & Foley (1975), p.91. Two chapters devoted to Sands in the book “Rug Hooking in Maine: 1838-1940” by Mildred Cole Péladeau.
Son of Edward Sands Frost. Obit BWJ 12/18/1925, p.2 c.4.